Let’s Hit the Facts:
Protein is arguably the most important macro nutrient found in foods. Protein molecules are essential for all human beings as they’re needed in order for the body’s cells, tissues, and organs to function properly. But it is absolutely crucial for muscle maintenance and growth, so it is especially important for gym-goers and other active individuals to intake adequate amounts of protein to repair broken muscle fibres during bouts of exercise.
How Much is Enough?
Exact protein demands will vary between different individuals but on average somewhere between 0.8-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight is what an active person should be consuming whether they are shedding body fat, or gaining muscle. I’d say 1g/lb is a safe bet for most people regardless of their goal. That’s quite a bit of protein! But if you want to get jacked, you need to make sure you’re eating your daily protein quota consistently. It may be hard to intake a sufficient amount throughout the day, especially if you’re on the go and don’t feel like lugging around Tupperwares full of chicken and steak.
My go-to, quick and easy protein source is a protein bar. They give you adequate amounts of protein and they taste like candy bars! The best ones I have ever had are MusclePharm’s Combat Crunch protein bars. Here at Primal Movement we have 8 different flavours of Combat Crunch bars, all of which contain 20 grams of protein, as well as 25 grams of carbohydrates, which make them a great pre and post workout snack.
If you’re unsure of which flavour to go with, look no further. I will admit that I have an addiction to these bars, and eat them daily. I’ve had every flavour multiple times, and consider myself to be a Combat Crunch Connoisseur. Here’s my ranked list of the 8 flavours available at Primal Movement:
- Cookies n’ Cream – It’s like eating a bag of Oreo’s except you get far more fiber and way less sugar. The flavour is a little more subdued than typical cookies n cream flavours and therefore is far less sickening. I could honestly eat these all day. I want to say they are the best we sell but they are tied with Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup – This is the crowd favourite at our gym, and we sell it the most. In my opinion, you can never go wrong with the peanut butter and chocolate combo. Imagine eating Reese’s peanut butter cups but with less calories and a lot more protein.
- Cinnamon Twist – The outside of this bar is vanilla, and the inside is cinnamon. I like to crumble these up and toss them in my oatmeal at breakfast. The consistency is incredible and it’s a delicious way to add more protein to your oats (I find protein powder gets a little too chalky).
- Birthday Cake – People hate on this flavour with the most common criticism being, “It tastes nothing like birthday cake!” The critics are correct that it doesn’t taste like birthday cake, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t ridiculously delicious. They should change the name of this flavour to “Froot Loops” because that is exactly what it tastes like. I recommend it to everyone.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough – Here’s another common favourite from our members. For me it’s one of those flavours you can’t go wrong with. The flavour isn’t out of this world, but it’s solid. When in doubt, go for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.
- White Chocolate Raspberry – This is an extremely overlooked flavour. When I first heard of it, I had low expectations, but it is surprisingly tasty. The combination of white chocolate and raspberry is different, and it’s a good flavour to have every now and then.
- Chocolate Cake – If you love chocolate, you’ll love this flavour. It is extremely chocolaty and I’m not that much of a chocolate lover. That’s the only reason it’s ranked towards the bottom.
- Chocolate Coconut – It’s very true to coconut in terms of consistency and flavour. Because I’m not a fan of coconut I rank it at the bottom, but because of the genuine flavour, coconut lovers need to try it.
No matter which flavour you choose, you can’t go wrong. Every flavour is unique, and the whole line of bars is superior to any other protein bar on the market in my opinion. The best part is you get jacked while eating delicious chocolate bars! (Provided you’re training hard). Enjoy!